Brazil is a pain - Jay Maynard

> Recent entries
> Calendar view
> Friends page
> User info
> Jay's web page

Monday, 25 July 2005


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
1021 - Brazil is a pain

I might find myself going to Brazil sometime in the next month to do some consulting there. Getting into Brazil is going to be a pain, as they require your passport with an expiration more than 6 months after your date of travel, two copies of an application form with two passport photos, a letter from your employer taking financial responsibility for you while you're there (which must be on company letterhead and signed by someone else - what if you're self-employed?), a copy of your travel itinerary, approval from the Brazilian Ministry of Labor, and a $210 application fee.

I understand that they're being a nuisance as a reply to the US being a nuisance for Brazilian citizens to enter, but that doesn't make it any less of a nuisance.

current mood: [mood icon] irritated
current music: Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace

(16 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:rogue461
Date: - 0000
(Link)
Just for curiosity, where in Brazil would you be heading?

I used to work for Consist International which is based in Sao Paulo.
[User Picture]
From:jmaynard
Date: - 0000
(Link)
I'd also be going to Sao Paulo. I'm looking forward to the trip, as I've never been south of the equator, but the way the Brazilians make it difficult for Americans to get visas, I'm not sure I'll ever make it.
[User Picture]
From:frostyw
Date: - 0000
(Link)
I think my town's entire downtown neighborhood is populated almost entirely by Brazilians. I see the green and gold flags flying and people speaking Portugese quite often. In fact, I think our neighbors are actually Brazilian, and they've just headed home for a few weeks. x.x
[User Picture]
From:shelbystripes
Date: - 0000
(Link)
Just hope they don't try shooting you in the head seven times in another attempt at duplicating "Western" policy.
[User Picture]
From:jmaynard
Date: - 0000
(Link)
Don't worry. If the police tell me to do something, they'll get my instant and total cooperation, unlike the guy in London who you are apparently referring to.
[User Picture]
From:shelbystripes
Date: - 0000
(Link)
And you think "cooperation" will guarantee your safety in a nation that speaks a different language than you and has corruption so rampant that it makes Bill Clinton look like a saint, even notwithstanding the fact that, as I was alluding to, they may end up looking for people to take revenge on for an act like that? You're more naive than I thought.
[User Picture]
From:jmaynard
Date: - 0000
(Link)
You think that utterly failing to cooperate with police while jumping a turnstile to get into a crowded subway while wearing inappropriate and overly heavy clothing in a country that has just been hit by terrorist bombers wouldn't get you killed? You're more suspicious a cop-hater than I thought.
[User Picture]
From:shelbystripes
Date: - 0000
(Link)
Where did I make a comment anywhere to the effect of that? I said they'd be looking for vengeance against English-speaking people for what happened, which is true of their attitude regardless of whether it was the "right" thing for them to have done or not.

Very naive.
[User Picture]
From:jmaynard
Date: - 0000
(Link)
You must either hate Brazilians or cops to think they'd be looking for vengeance in that way. Then again, you've hated cops for ages, so this is not news.
[User Picture]
From:shelbystripes
Date: - 0000
(Link)
See, this is part of your problem, you're so shallow that you think pointing out a problem with someone or something means that a person "hates" them. You'll apparently never get over that, either, sadly.

Brazilians tend to be the proud sort that occasionally murder each other over the outcome of soccer games, and many of them see what happened in England as an insult to their entire nation. If you're really <stupid enough to think that everybody down there is okay with what happened, then good luck, because you'll need it down there.
[User Picture]
From:jmaynard
Date: - 0000
(Link)
I came to the conclusion that you hate cops when I realized that you never agree with a cop defending himself in the line of duty from a perceived threat to his life when 20/20 hindsight shows him to have been wrong. This is just another case of that.
[User Picture]
From:shelbystripes
Date: - 0000
(Link)
1) You're putting words in my mouth by saying "this is just another case of that", since at no point here have I actually said I'm defending what was done, only pointing out that there are many in Brazil who are currently calling for "justice", or alternately, outright calling for vengeance. You know, in case you missed the protests and the thousands of people attending the man's funeral and the provincial governor declaring the day of his funeral a provincial holiday and a sudden shift in Brazilian opinion. So that's one point where you're wrong.

2) As I mentioned before, you have an entirely shallow view of the world that allows you to dismiss people as "hating" someone just because they disagree with something they did. This is the lazy way out, and convinces me more and more that you're just a lazy person in general.
[User Picture]
From:shelbystripes
Date: - 0000
(Link)
Out of curiosity, now that it's becoming well-known that what the cops in this case did was completely wrong and the Brazilian did pretty much nothing to warrant an instant death penalty, and given that I actually waited until those details came out before actually choosing to judge the cops involved one way or another, do you still consider me a "cop hater"?
[User Picture]
From:good_eeevening
Date: - 0000
(Link)
Nothing to do with your post, but happy, happy birthday!!
[User Picture]
From:jmaynard
Date: - 0000
(Link)
Thanks!
From:claviola
Date: - 0000
(Link)
You're too stupid for words, mephit. As a Brazilian, I can assure you that we don't have such a mentality.

> go to top
LiveJournal.com