Jay Maynard (jmaynard) wrote,
Jay Maynard

  • Mood:

One hardware annoyance fixed

I fixed the weird DIMM problem on the free computer. They were hard to stuff into the slots, and I thought that was causing them to bend and not make good contact. So, I decided to test the theory. I took my handy-dandy Dremel tool, mounted a cylindrical mill bit on it, and ground the edges of the DIMMs down a bit until they slid easily into the sockets. Result: System came up with 512 MB, no sweat.

There are some problems for which a Dremel is the right answer. That number is larger than you might guess at first.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the SCSI problem. I've ordered another card off eBay; we'll see what that does next weekend, most likely.

  • Someone should print this poster

    In case you can't read it, it says: VINDICATION: When the loudest critic of your policies achieves his greatest success because of them. (hat…

  • Took him long enough...

    So, President Obama finally released his birth certificate. Now we can put the matter to rest. Personally, I've always thought that whether he was…

  • Fun fact for the day

    1337% of pi is 42.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded