Tuesday, 9 January 2007
|1821 - Apple resolved my phone quandary|
No more sucky low-function OSes.
No more putting up with Windows.
No more crappy-looking low-res screens.
Yes, I'm going to get an iPhone just as soon as they're available. Until then, I'll get an unlocked Treo 680 and sell it when the iPhone comes in.
current mood: happy
You may be able to sell the 680 to me. I will likely have to change phones in March.
I wonder if:
1. Linux will install on it and it still be a phone.
2. Verizon Wirelless going to support it.
3. SETI@Home will run on it...
1. Not likely.
2. It's exclusive to Cingular until 2009, and it's quad-band GSM, so unless Verizon suddenly switches from CDMA in the next two years, no dice.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the OpenMoko based FIC phone instead.http://www.openmoko.com/press/index.html
It will have linux, and something like apt built in. I really want to get one once it is released.
Make sure to get Hercules running on it as soon as you pick it up! ;)
Hmm, looks kinda cool. Oh well, I'll be looking forward to hearing about what it's like for you when you get it.
I'm drooling all over my PowerBook just thinking about it.
Oh how I love Apple's surprise announcements. ♥
A few other points that Engadget made about the phone...http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-iphone-is-not-a-smartphone/
Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed.
* No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
* No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
* No expandable memory.
* No removable battery.
* No Exchange or Office support.
My tapwave zodiac, Palm3c, and Garmin Ique are all the same way... no user replaceable battery.
And since the 3c and zodiac are no longer manufactured...
I'm really liking my 680. (Work finally agreed to get me a 650, and the weekend before they launched the 680 and stopped selling the 650, so win for me!)