Where did you grow up? Houston
WHAT DO YOU CALL:
1. A body of water, smaller than a river, contained within relatively narrow banks? creek or bayou.
2. The thing you push around the grocery store? basket.
3. A metal container to carry a meal in? lunch box.
4. The thing that you cook bacon and eggs in? a frying pan or a skillet (interchangeable).
5. The piece of furniture that seats three people? couch.
6. The device on the outside of the house that carries rain off the roof? gutter.
7. The covered area outside a house where people sit in the evening? porch.
8. Carbonated, sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages? Coke, even if it's not Coca-Cola. If the exact kind is important, it gets named.
9. A flat, round breakfast food served with syrup? pancake.
10. A long sandwich designed to be a whole meal in itself? po-boy.
11. The piece of clothing worn by men at the beach? bathing suit.
12. Shoes worn for sports? tennis shoes.
13. Putting a room in order? cleaning.
14. A flying insect that glows in the dark? firefly (though we didn't have them in the Houston area, to the best of my knowledge).
15. The little insect that curls up into a ball? doodle bug.
16. The children's playground equipment where one kid sits on one side and goes up while the other sits on the other side and goes down? teeter-totter.
17. How do you eat your pizza? Point of the slice first (for wedge-shaped slices), often avoiding the crust.
18. What's it called when private citizens put up signs and sell their used stuff? a garage sale.
19. What's the evening meal? dinner.
20. The thing under a house where the furnace and perhaps a rec room are? a basement (though houses in Houston almost never have them - with the water table at 4 feet average below the surface, it's not real easy to have one).
21. A window covering on rollers that pulls down? shade.
22. A new, limited access, multi-lane road? freeway (highway is a generic term that covers any road designed to carry large volumes of traffic at elevated speeds for significant distances).
23. Heavy garments worn for work? work clothes.
24. The highest grade of gasoline? premium.